TPO membrane vs elastomeric membrane
Trying to decide whether you should go for a TPO membrane or an elastomeric membrane to coat your roof? Well, in that case you aren’t alone.
Both the coating materials are extremely popular as they come with perks of their own. However, you do need to make the choice wisely, as it would have long-term implications on your roof.
A comparison between TPO and elastomeric membrane
Both TPO and elastomeric membrane are great choices for roof coating. However, each one is suitable for specific situations. While TPO membrane may be better for a particular roof, elastomeric membrane may be more suitable for another. Here is a brief comparison between the two:
- Installation method
Both types of coating require heat during the installation. However, while a TPO membrane installation requires a hot air gun, one would need a blowtorch to install an elastomeric membrane.
Now, a blowtorch can potentially result in a fire hazard, while hot-air welding is much safer. Professionals, however, can install elastomeric membranes in the right manner, while adhering to all the safety rules. Hot air-welding also offers better watertightness and resistance in the long run.
You would want the coating of your roof to last as long as possible, right? Well, elastomeric membrane is a better choice in terms of durability. An elastomeric membrane can last up to thirty years, while TPO membranes usually have a lifespan of about two decades.
TPO membranes are usually better at reflecting sunlight compared to elastomeric membranes. However, this may or may not be a problem, depending on certain factors.
- If you are trying to keep your home cool, a TPO membrane is the better choice. By reflecting away the sunlight, it would reduce the ambient heat in the rooms and thereby help to conserve energy.
- On the other hand, elastomeric membranes are a better option for rooftops that have solar panels installed. A TPO membrane, could potentially reflect sunlight into the panels and cause them to fail.
- Both the coatings are eco-friendly. While a TPO membrane reduces the cooling needs of a home, an elastomeric membrane helps solar panels work more efficiently.
Thus, the reflectivity of TPO membranes may or may not be beneficial, depending on your priorities.
While installing a roof coating, maintenance costs are a factor that might be bothering you. After all, it is highly important to consider the long-term expenses. While both TPO membrane and elastomeric membrane are highly resistant to weather elements, TPO membranes are less likely to need maintenance.
- TPO membranes are more resistant to standing water.
- However, elastomeric membranes have a petroleum-based rubber composition, which is liable to various problems. Standing water can cause the membrane to crack.
- In regions with heavy rainfall, a TPO membrane might therefore be a better choice.
Should you choose TPO or elastomeric membrane?
As evident above, both types of membrane have their perks and drawbacks. You would have to take several factors into consideration while making the choice:
- The material of the roof
- The weather conditions in the region
- Your budget
- The long-term costs
- Whether you have solar panels installed
- The installation method
If in doubt, you may get in touch with a reliable roofing company and seek their advice. Experienced professionals should be able to help you pick the right option.
Regardless of whether you choose to install a TPO membrane or an elastomeric membrane, make sure to get it done by professionals. Improper installation can lead to damages, which, in turn, would require expensive repairs. Moreover, professionals can install the coating safely, without damaging your property in any manner.
- Mastering Futures Trading: Navigating NSE Holidays Like a Pro April 6, 2023
- New Orleans: The Gateway to Creole Culture March 13, 2023
- What is the trend for countertops in 2023? March 9, 2023
- Incredible Benefits Of Virtual Office Rental February 1, 2023
- How Can A Subrogation Lawyer Protect You? February 1, 2023
- What To Do If You Are Injured In A Car Accident January 3, 2023
- How to pick a winning fantasy cricket team January 2, 2023